1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Cover large cookie sheet with aluminum foil and spray with oil.
3. Place eggplant slices on sheet, spray with oil, and place into oven (ten minutes on each side).
4. While eggplant is cooking, blend (in blender) cottage cheese, garlic powder, and basil until smooth.
5. Combine pasta sauce and tomatoes. Stir well.
6. Remove eggplant when done and set aside.
7. Use a 12" (or larger) Pyrex square baking dish and spray with oil.
8. Cover bottom of dish with a layer of tomato sauce.
9. Add a layer of lasagne to cover bottom.
10. Add blended cottage cheese and cover evenly.
11. Top with a ladle of tomato sauce and sprinkle with 1/4 cup Romano.
12. Add another layer of lasagne and cover with enough eggplant slices to cover.
13. Top with ladle of tomato sauce and sprinkle with 1/4 cup Romano and chili flakes.
14. Add another layer of lasagne.
15. Top with remainder of eggplant.
16. Top with a ladle of tomato sauce.
17. Top with final layer of lasagne.
18. Cover with tomato sauce, Mozzarella, and remainder of Romano.
At this point, the lasagne may be covered and refrigerated overnight. When ready to cook, preheat oven to 400 degrees for 10 minutes and place dish, covered, in oven for 45 minutes. After 45 minutes, remove lid and continue to bake for 15 minutes. The top should be brown and bubbling. Remove from oven and let set for 5 minutes. Cut into squares and serve.
*Dave Williams suggests a hearty Boscaini Amarone or any full-bodied red.